Sounds like the people behind Wikileaks are under some pressure. Since this is unlikely to turn up in your newspapers, I post it here to spread awareness.
Wikileaks has a mission of bringing hidden information to light, when it’s in the public interest. Wikipedia outlines their greatest hits, including Gauntanamo Bay procedure documents, scientology secrets, and net censorship lists. They come under fire sometimes for hosting material that probably isn’t much in the public interest, but overall they have contributed some compelling information to some fractious global arguments.
- WikiLeaks to reveal Pentagon murder-coverup at US National Press Club, Apr 5, 9am; contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- WikiLeaks is currently under an aggressive US and Icelandic surveillance operation. Following/photographing/filming/detaining
- If anything happens to us, you know why: it is our Apr 5 film. And you know who is responsible.
- Two under State Dep diplomatic cover followed our editor from Iceland to http://skup.no on Thursday.
- One related person was detained for 22 hours. Computer’s seized.That’s http://www.skup.no
- We know our possession of the decrypted airstrike video is now being discussed at the highest levels of US command.
- We have been shown secret photos of our production meetings and been asked specific questions during detention related to the airstrike.
- We have airline records of the State Dep/CIA tails. Don’t think you can get away with it. You cannot. This is WikiLeaks.
All those came out in a rush, then silence for hours. Might just be a timezone thing, with people sleeping, or maybe there’s been no news, or maybe everyone with access to the Twitter feed has been detained. I await more information.
UPDATE: “To those worrying about us–we’re fine, and will issue a suitable riposte shortly.” 8.22am NZ time.
UPDATE: Just noticed that the first tweet quoted, “WikiLeaks to reveal Pentagon murder-coverup” is gone from the feed. Now I wish I’d linked to all of them individually. Anyway, it was definitely there, and I think Linda is right that it is this previously-referred-to video
UPDATE: commenter eru found the missing tweet. It isn’t visible in the ordinary feed for some reason.